EVALUATING AN IMAGE
Elements for Consideration in Thoughtful Image Analysis
• Center of interest - Is there a focal point or main center of interest?
• Placement of subject - Is the subject placed in a position that adds to the interest and story
telling ability of the photograph (e.g. rule-of-thirds).
• Distance from the subject - Does the subject fill the viewfinder or does the distance add an interesting perspective?
• Foreground/background - Is the foreground and background simple and uncluttered? Is it used to set the stage for the story without distracting from the subject? Are there object merges?
• Format - Was the horizontal or vertical format used the best choice and was it used
• Framing - Is framing used to add dimension to the photograph or call attention to the
• Perspective - Is the camera angle used effectively to help add interest and to build the story?
• Line, shape, pattern, texture - Is line, shape, pattern or texture used to add interest or to direct the eye to the subject? Do the lines and shapes relate to one another?
II. Image Quality
• Focus - Is the image clear and sharp? Does the image record fine detail with good
• Exposure - Did the exposure used provide adequate lighting for the image? Have "hot
spots" been avoided?
• Contrast - Is contrast used effectively to make the subject stand out or to set a mood?
• Lighting - Does the lighting call attention to the subject, set a mood, or add interest?
• Noise - Is noise apparent and detracting to the overall image?
• Depth of Field - Is the depth of field used effectively to emphasize the subject?
• Color - Is the color (either black and white or color) natural and true to life? Was the best choice made from color, black and white or sepia? Are there color merges?
• Depth of Tones - Does the photograph have richness of color or complete range of tones?
• Message - Does the photograph clearly communicate a message? Does it tell a story in the first glance?
• Creativity and Originality - Is the subject presented in a unique way?
IV. Wow Factor
- Dramatic Effect - Does the photograph have a very strong impact, creating an immediate, emotional response?
For a pdf version of this document: Elements for Consideration in Thoughtful Image Analysis